Welcome to week 10! This week’s focus is on better portions per food group! As you can already tell, I don’t use measuring cups or spoons for most of my cooking and portioning, but there are ways around it! Using your hand as a guide to estimate the correct portions is a great portioning hack.
For example, a closed fist should be one serving size of pasta. But because I incorporated some zucchini noodles into my spaghetti, I gave myself little leeway and added a little more pasta to each meal prep container.
I decided from now on that I will be mixing 100% whole grain spaghetti noodles with my zucchini noodles so my meals are a little more filling! Friendly reminder: if you feel like you’re starving, you’re not eating enough!
Ingredients (6 servings):
– 1/2 box whole grain spaghetti
– 2 zucchinis, spiraled
– 1/4 tsbp butter
– 4 minced garlic cloves
– 4-5 tbsp basil pesto
– Salt & pepper
– Parmesan cheese
– Olive oil
– 2 tbsp garlic salt (optional, can be subbed for regular salt)
– 1 tsbp Italian seasoning (optional, for extra flavor)
– Crushed red pepper (optional, for spice)
– Boil water and cook spaghetti noodles for 6-8 mins (don’t forget to salt your pasta!)
– Once cooked, strain pasta, and toss in a little bit of olive oil to prevent the noodles from sticking together (don’t rinse the pasta), set noodles aside
– Cut the ends off zucchini and spiral, set aside
– Heat a pan on medium and throw butter and garlic together
– Once butter is melted and garlic is fragrant, toss in the zucchini noodles
– Generously add salt and pepper (also the optional garlic salt/Italian seasoning) to the zucchini noodles to taste and stir for 2 minutes
– Lower heat and add the spaghetti noodles and mix thoroughly
– Add pesto and stir thoroughly (add an extra tablespoon of pesto if it’s not enough for you!)
– Top off with Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper
*Tip: If the pasta is a little dry, drizzle a little extra olive oil and mix!